The city of Atmore is located in Escambia County, Alabama.
Previous to the coming of the railroad, the locality of where present day Atmore is today was settled by William L. Williams. He had an establishment was at the crossing of the Monroeville and Pensacola, and the Brewton and Bay Minette public roads.
Upon the completion of the railroad, the station was called Williams Station in honor of the first Williams settlers. In 1895, the name was changed to Atmore, for C. P. Atmore, general passenger agent of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, who was a friend of a prominent citizen Mr. Carney. At first, there was talk of naming the town Carney, who owned a sawmill in town, but since Mr. Carney had a brother who established a town nearby, the town decided to let Mr. Carney name the town.
Atmore also has a rich Native American past. The former homer and the grave of the famous chief, William Weatherford are on Little River across the line in the northern part of Baldwin County.
Atmore High School Marching Band ca. 1940 (Alabama Department of Archives and History)
Atmore has another claim to fame with having the first high school female football. Read more about her at: The first female football player, a forgotten story from Atmore, Alabama