BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
Shelby County, Alabama
Anearly Elliott family in Shelby County was the family of Cornelius Elliott. He was probably related to Amos Elliott but their relationship is not known at this time. Cornelius died approximately 1840. He had acquired a considerable amount of acreage in Alabama. He married Parthena Edoth Flournoy in Alabama in 1814. According to court records, she was the executive of his estate and guardian of their children after he died prior to Dec. 27, 1841. She was guardian of Elizabeth J. Elliott, Jabez P. Elliott, Louisa C. Elliott the minor heirs of Cornelius Elliott.
On July 17, 1854, she resigned as administrator of the estate and sheriff, Hudson W. Nelson was appointed administrator and he filed a petition for sale of the real estate. He gave a bond for $2000.00 with John N. Cahill and W. P. Bevill as his securities. The heirs were named in Shelby County, Alabama Will Book K:
“The widow, Parthena Elliott, and children:
- Narcissa K. Elliott, over 21, resident in Shelby County
- S. J. ( S. G) Elliott, over 21, res. In Shelby County
- Joshua W. Elliott, over 21, Shelby co.
- Mary Ann, wife of Willis G. McClinton, over 21, res. In Shelby Co.
- Johns ( or Jabus or Jabez) Elliott, who res. In Louisiana. ( I think Jabez)
- Elizabeth J., wife of Alisander J. Moore: also a non-resident of this State
- Martha Elliott, a minor, not a res. Of Ala.
- Louisa Elliott, between the age of 14 and 21, who res. In Shelby Co., with her mother.
One witness testified that Josephine, wife of Alexander J. Moore resides in Louisiana. One document states that Martha, under 21, resides in Louisiana. Another witness thought Martha was of age.
Another witness testified that Cannon and Jefferson Elliott, heirs of Cornelius, res. In Shelby Co.
Compiler’s note: If there was a date on this document, I failed to record it. Estimate: Prior to 1852.”
Alexander J. and Elizabeth J. (Elliott) Moore can be found in the 1850 census of Union Parish, Louisiana. Her sister, Martha Elliott is living with them.
Cornelius Elliott’s biography and more of his relatives can be found in the book Shelby County Alabama Pioneers Volume I
Check out all historical and genealogy books by Donna R. Causey
Did you know that all E-books can be downloaded immediately from Amazon.com? Click below to see how.