Fur was more popular in the 1890s than they are now, and they could look bad after years of wear. This is how they were renewed.
Florence H. Marshall, three-quarter length portrait, standing, facing front holding fur muff ca. 1914 (Library of Congress)
How To Freshen Up Furs
- Furs, when taken out in the fall, are often found to have a mussed, crushed-out appearance. They can be made to look like new, by following these simple directions:
- Wet the fur with a hairbrush, brushing up the wrong way of the fur.
- Leave it to dry in the air for about half an hour
- Then give it a good beating on the right side with a rattan.
- After beating it, comb it with a coarse comb, combing up the right way of the fur.
Discover many more household tips and recipes from the past in VINEGAR OF THE FOUR THIEVES: Recipes & curious tips from the past. Now in paperback, makes a great gift!