A cordial is an alcoholic drink that contains a liqueur, or cordial. Most are flavored. This is one that has been handed down from the 1930s.
Couple at champagne supper, ca. 1900 (Bain Publishing Co., Library of Congress)
- 1 quart sour pie cherries
- 1 lb. (2 cups) sugar
- One fifth light rum
Put all ingredients into a 2 quart bottle. Let stand for one year with an occasional shake.
MOCK PINK CHAMPAGNE
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 6-ounce can frozen orange juice
- 1 6-ounce can frozen grapefruit juice
- 1 28-ounce bottle chilled ginger ale
- 1/3 cup bottled grenadine syrup
Early in day – mix sugar with water in a saucepan and boil 5 min. Cool
Add frozen juice concentrate. Refrigerate.
At serving time add ginger ale and grenadine syrup. Stir lightly. Serve at once in champagne glasses.
See larger image