Troy is a city in Pike County, Alabama. It was once part of the territory of the Creek Indian lands and was originally known as Deer Stand Hill (an Indian hunting ground). The area was first settled around 1824. Other names for the area have been Zebulon and Centreville. Luke R. Simmons named the town Troy.
Hotels, taverns and mercantile stores quickly made the new town a social center. By 1861, the population was 600. The town of Troy was spared from the ravages of the Civil War and by 1870 the population was around 1000. It grew to over 3000 by 1880.
Troy Methodist Church South, Troy, Alabama ca. 1900 (Alabama State Archives)
The town is situated on a series of radiating ridges, whose common center is the courthouse square. It was first settled by the Murphree, Love, and Henderson families in 1824. The first log house erected was for “Granny Love” by Peter J. Coleman. She, with her two sons, Andy and Bill, kept the first tavern.
Note: More information on Granny Love –
From Notable Men of Alabama: Personal and Genealogical, Volume 1, edited by Joel Campbell DuBose. Southern Historical Association, 1904
Ann Love (better known as “Granny Love”) was a notable pioneer woman of Pike County. She (as a widow) was actually the founder of Troy, Ala. She bought the old Pike county courthouse building at Monticello, former county site (when the geographical center of Pike County, named Troy, became the county site) and used that material in erecting the first building in Troy, known as the “Love Tavern.” She successfully managed the tavern until two years before her death, at the age of ninety-one years. Among the four sons and four daughters whom she reared were Capt. Andrew Pickens Love, the noted Indian fighter (a delegate to the secession convention in 1861) and a major in Gen. Wade Hampton’s cavalry (C. S. A.) at Yellow Tavern and other battles, and William Love, pioneer merchant of Troy.
North Three Notch Street, Troy, Alabama ca. 1900 (Alabama State Archives)
Montgomery St. Troy, Alabama ca. 1900 (Alabama State Archives)
Troy is located near the center of the county, about 4 miles southeast of the Conecuh River. It became the county seat of Pike County in 1838 after it was moved from Monticello. John Coskrey and John Hanchey donated 30 acres of land, and the line which divided their lands, running east and west, was made the middle line for the courthouse square.
Pike County Court House, Troy, Alabama ca. 1900 (Alabama State Archives)
Robert Smiley, the county surveyor, laid off the town. In 1839, the commissioners, Andrew Townsend, Jacinth Jackson, William Cox, Alexander McCall, Daniel Lewis, Obadiah Pitts, James Arthur, and Edmund Hobdy moved the seat of Justice to Troy and installed the county offices in a log courthouse which in the early fifties was replaced by a frame structure, which in turn was replaced in 1888, by a substantial brick building, later added to and improved. The Masonic Lodge was organized in 1841, and the hall erected in 1843.
Mary E. Love of Troy, died 1865 (Alabama State Archives)
On the southwest corner of the square stood “Granny” Love’s tavern, built of materials from the old courthouse at Monticello. On the northeast corner stood the pioneer home of “Granny” Wood.
Alfred Newton Worthy of Troy, Alabama, ca. 1880 Represented Troy in AL Senate 1868-1872 (Alabama State Archives)
Among the early settlers were the Murphree, Henderson, Mullins, Hill, Worthy, Gardner, Adams, Lawson, Fitzpatrick, Ogletree, Blain, Morris, Goldthwaite, Anderson, Joel Murphree, Soles, Johnson, Wiley, Love, Fannin, Copeland, Wood, Hobdy, Culver, Freeman, Urquhart, Barron, Rice, Baugh, Thompson, Darby, Parks, Wiley, Seegar, Hartsfield, Floyd, Brown, and Allred families.
Street Scene, Troy, Alabama ca. 1940 (Alabama State Archives)
Troy University is located in the town and today, it is a thriving college town.
Interior of the Public Library 1910, Troy, Alabama (Alabama State Archives)
Curb market in Troy, Alabama, ca. 1920-1930 (Alabama State Archives)
Troy University is a comprehensive public university. It was founded on February 26, 1887 as Troy State Normal School within the Alabama State University System by an Act of the Alabama Legislature.
Faculty at the State Normal College in Troy, Alabama, May 1, 1900 (Alabama State Archives)
Students at the State Normal College in Troy, Alabama, possibly the graduating class of 1912 – William V. Luckie back row, 2nd from left (Alabama State Archives)
It is the flagship university of the Troy University System with its main campus enrollment of 9,000 students and the total enrollment of all Troy University campuses is 31,000. Troy University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS) to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, education specialist, and doctoral degrees.