I grew up in Alabama and on hot summer days we had to find ways to entertain ourselves and endure the heat without air-conditioning. These are my top 20 summer-time memories. How did you stay entertain yourself and stay cool during the hot southern days before air-conditioning?
- Spent evenings outdoors catching fireflies (we called them lightening bugs) with my brothers and sisters.
- Loaded up in the family station wagon on a hot summer afternoon to get to“The Spinning Wheel” in Birmingham, Alabama for those big frosty milkshakes served in huge ribbed glasses.
- Walked barefoot on freshly mowed grass and enjoy the fresh smells.
- Visited my grandparents and relatives who lived down dirt one-lane roads through thick woods and narrow one-lane bridges.
- Tied a string to a June bug’s leg and hang on to it while it flew around in circles.
- Dressed up in ‘Sunday best’ and shopped in downtown Birmingham, Alabama at Loveman’s or Pizitz and enjoyed air-conditioning in the large department stores.
- Had a party at Lowe’s Skating Rink in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Left windows open for a cooling breeze and doors unlocked at night while we slept with no worries.
- Spent a summer afternoon lying on the grass and made images in my mind from clouds overhead.
- Made chain necklaces from daisies to wear and searched for four leaf clovers in the grass.
- Cooled off by playing with your brothers and sisters in the sprinkler.
- Went to Kiddieland at Fair Park in Birmingham and rode all the rides.
- Spent a Friday or Saturday night cruisin down third avenue in front of the theaters in Birmingham with all the windows rolled down.
- Watched a movie in the cool air-conditioned and beautiful theaters.
- Enjoyed the beautiful music from the massive organ at the Alabama Theater in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Chased after the ice cream truck with my dime or quarter to get a frosty treat.
- Waded in a spring cooled creek.
- Watched a movie at an outdoor movie theaters.
- Went to mall to enjoy the air-conditioning.
- Skated down the street with my old time skates that attached to my shoes and I tightened with a key.
Start researching your family genealogy research. This inexpensive book has simple instructions on how to get started with FREE sources. WHERE DO I START? Hints and Tips for Beginning Genealogists with On-line resources
“This book was very informative and at a very modest price.”
“The book was clear & concise, with excellent information for beginners. As an experienced genealogist, I enjoyed the chapter with lists of interview questions. I’d recommend this book to those who are just beginning to work on their genealogies. For more experienced genealogists, it provides a nice refresher.”
See larger image