Click http://www.alabamapioneers.com/honor-your-ancestor-on-alab…/to see how to honor your ancestor as a Notable Alabama Pioneer
CHARLES ALEXANDER ALLEN
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
Montgomery County, Alabama
Charles Alexander Allen, planter and public official, was born May 14, 1846, in Sparta, Hancock County, Georgia died September 21, 1907, in Montgomery. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Montgomery, Alabama. Charles was the son of William and Rebecca Ann (Williams) Allen, of Sparta, Ga., who removed, in 1849, to Union Springs, later settling in Montgomery County as a planter.
He was educated in the private and public schools of his community; engaged in planting, and while underage, enlisted in the 51st Alabama cavalry regiment, C. S. Army. He served, with six brothers, some of whom were killed, until the close of the war. He again engaged in farming; and also assisted his brother, Joseph, in the warehouse business. In 1884 he was made clerk of the board of revenue of Montgomery County and served until 1901.
Charles was a Democrat, a Mason, a Ku Klux and a Baptist. He married: 1st Corinne Harwell, daughter of Mason Harwell of Cross Keys and Montgomery on June 19, 1867, and died Aug 12, 1882. She is buried in Montgomery, Alabama; 2nd Elizabeth Beatrice Smith, of Highland Home on October 23, 1884, in Ramer, Alabama.
His children by the first wife were:
- Mason Harwell Allen
- Fannie Allen, m. Eugene Patterson
- George Allen, m. Belle Meadows
- Charles A. Allen, Jr., March 2, 1902, drowned in Alabama river
- Carry Allen, m. J. T. Gartner
Children by the second wife were:
- Warren Allen, m. Sarah McCook:
- Willie Thomas Allen, drowned in Alabama river on March 2, 1902, with his step-brother, Charles
- Lila Allen, m. John Chisholm
- Harry Allen
- Sayre Allen
- Ruth Allen, m. Will Sankey. Jr.;
- Joe Allen;
- Edwin Allen;
- Edith Allen;
- Mary Hill Allen
He was a member of the 1st Church of Christ of Montgomery, Alabama. Charles Alexander died in Montgomery and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama.
- History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 3 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen
- Allen Bible –
- Proceedings of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Jurisdiction … Volumes 86-87 By Freemasons. Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Jurisdiction of Alabama p.42
- Find A Grave Memorial# 8450672 # 93356889# 93356622 # 93986082