Do you agree with at least ten of these statements? Then you must live in a small town
- You can’t walk for exercise because every car that passes offers you a ride.
- You dial a wrong number and talk for 15 minutes anyway.
- The local paper devotes half of the front page to your wedding.
- Someone asks how you feel and listens to what you say because they really want to know.
- There are more people standing in front of the stores talking than there are inside shopping.
- You can name everyone you graduated with.
- You went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.
- It was cool to date someone from the neighboring town.
- The ice cream store has only two flavors, chocolate and vanilla
- The only traffic jam’s are caused when a farmer drives down Main Street on his combine.
- Hardware, Dry Goods, Groceries, Clothing and Farm Supplies are all sold at the same store.
- No social events are scheduled when the school gym floor is being varnished.
- The town is named after Everyone’s distant relative.
- You don’t signal turns because everyone knows where you’re going anyway.
- For fun on Saturday nights, people drive up and down main street.
- You call a wrong number and the person who answers supplies you with the correct one.
- Everyone knows all the news before it’s published and people read the paper to see if the publisher got the facts right.
- The city limits signs are both on the same post.
- There’s no place to go that you shouldn’t.
- A night on the town takes only 10 minutes.
- The only road crossing Main Street is a dirt road.
Historic Jasper, Alabama by Carol Highsmith 2010
Some stories include:
- The true story of the first Mardi Gras in America and where it took place
- The Mississippi Bubble Burst – how it affected the settlers
- Did you know that many people devoted to the Crown settled in Alabama –
- Sophia McGillivray- what she did when she was nine months pregnant
- Alabama had its first Interstate in the early days of settlement