Dallas County, Alabama
Green Underwood (Apr. 22, 1799 Spartanburg, SC – d. Oct. 6, 1852 Dallas Co., AL) was a pioneer of Dallas County, Alabama. He was born in Spartanburg, SC to Enoch Jones Underwood (b. 1770 Culpeper Co., Va- d. Feb. 26, 1851 Dallas Co., AL) and Elly (Joyce) Underwood (b. 1772 NC. d. Aug. 30, 1834 Dallas Co., AL) who traveled to Alabama with his family at an early day. Dallas Co., (Deed Book D, p. 246 indicates that John Moore and Eleanor his wife of Lowndes Co., AL sold to Enoch J. Underwood, land in T14 R12 on Dec. 13, 1834.) Enoch is buried in Underwood Cemetery in Dallas County, Alabama.
Green married Cecelia Amanda Bell Legg (b. Jan 22, 1804 VA.-d. Jan 11, 1892) married on Aug. 30, 1836 in Frederick Co., Virginia. They are buried in the Underwood Cemetery in Dallas County, Alabama near his plantation.
Green’s siblings were
- Thomas Joyce Underwood (b. 1797 SC – d. July 17, 1851 Lowndes Co., AL)
- Anderson Underwood, (b. 1810 SC)
- William Green, (b. Apr. 22, 1799 SC – Oct. 6, 1852 Dallas Co., AL)
- Wiley J. Underwood (b. 1811 SC -d. Aug. 5, 1844)
- Willis Underwood
- Welmouth Underwood (b. 1802), wife of David T. Posey
- Julia Underwood, wife of Samuel A. Howell
- Lucy Underwood wife of Thomas M. Robinson. Lucy first married a Butler then married Thomas M. Robinson Aug. 28, 1844.
Green Underwood and Cecelia may have had the following children:
- George Wyley Underwood (May 1, 1844- Oct. 31, 1929) married Narcissa L. Underwood’s (1855-1934)
- John H. Underwood (Feb. 10, 1842 AL – Nov. 16, 1865) married Mary Elizabeth Moore.
There is a Dallas Co., Deed in Deed Book Q pp. 53-54, a deed from Anderson Underwood to Thomas M. Roberson, trustee for Virginia Caroline Butler Dated June 17, 1854 witnessed before S. A. Howell, J. P.
The children of Wiley J. Underwood were
- Hudson Underwood
- Cornelis Underwood
- Leroy Underwood
Many of the descendants of Enoch J. Underwood are buried in Underwood cemetery in Dallas County, Alabama.
- Alabama Notes, Flora England Volume III
- Findagrave.org Memorial # 72684618 # 72683868 # 69560709 # 69560817 # 72692661
- Ancestry.com public tree
Start researching your family genealogy research in minutes. This inexpensive Ebook has simple instructions on how to get started with FREE sources. Download WHERE DO I START? Hints and Tips for Beginning Genealogists with On-line resources to your computer immediately with the FREE APP below and begin your research today!
“This book was very informative and at a very modest price. Thank you for your great newsletter and this book.”
“The book was clear & concise, with excellent information for beginners. As an experienced genealogist, I enjoyed the chapter with lists of interview questions. I’d recommend this book to those who are just beginning to work on their genealogies. For more experienced genealogists, it provides a nice refresher.”