This is an excerpt from
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
Perry County, Alabama
Mark Smith was born in 1778 in South Carolina the son of Thomas Smith. He married Sarah Cannon ca. 1809 in South Carolina. Sarah was born ca. Oct. 13, 1782 in Newberry, South Carolina, the daughter of David Cannon, Sr. and Nancy Johnson. She died Sep 1822 in Perry County, Alabama.
Children of Mark and Sarah (Cannon). Smith were:
1. Luke T. Sr. Smith (July 2, 1797 Newberry, SC- July 2, 1853 Springfield, Orangeburg, SC) He resided in Perry County, Alabama in the 1840 census.
2. Dolly Smith (b. Oct. 15, 1805 Newberry County, SC – d. Sep 6, 1846 Choctaw, MS) She married John M. Shaffer in 1826 and had several children.
3 .John Smith (ca. 1806 SC)
4. Thomas Isaac Smith (Mar 6, 1808 Newberry County, SC- d. Dec. 4, 1860 in Mathison, Mississippi)
He married Unknown – Mar. 5, 1833 in Perry County, Alabama
5. Levi Smith (Dec. 14, 1810 Newberry County, South Carolina – d. Dec. 9, 1870 Hale County, Alabama) He married Catherine Richardson Sep 19, 1831 in Perry County, Alabama.
6. Matthias or Matthes Smith (b. 1813, Newberry County, SC-d. 1874 Oktibbeha, MS) He married unknown Jan. 25, 1837 in Perry County, AL
7. Mark Smith (b. Dec. 12, 1815 SC – Sep 17, 1853 Hokes Bluff, Etowah County, AL) He married Mary Tidmore Aug 4, 1842 Calhoun County, AL
8. Mary Smith (b. 1815 Newberry, SC) Married unknown Feb 1, 1841 in Perry County, Alabama.
9. Rosannah Smith (Jan 24, 1824-Jun 29, 1900 Hale County, Alabama.) She married James Jackson McFarland Oct. 24, 1842 in Perry County, Alabama. She and her husband had several children and died in Hale County, Alabama.
10. Daniel L. Smith (b. ca. 1827, Perry County, Alabama – 1889)
Mark and Sarah were living in Brush Creek, Perry County, Alabama in 1850. Mark and Sarah owned property in Newberry Co., SC but sold and moved to Alabama around 1822.
Mark witnessed a deed June 21, 1839 in Perry County, Alabama between Wm. W. Sims of Greene County, Alabama and Benjamin Rhodes on land in T21, R6, Perry County, Alabama.
1. Alabama Notes vol II Deed rec. book D p. 619
2. 1850 and 1860 census Brush Creek, Perry County, Alabama.