SAMUEL S. GRAHAM
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
(ca. 1800-aft. 1879
North Carolina, Montgomery County and Coosa County, Alabama
(Excerpt from History of Coosa County: by the Rev. George Evans Brewer, 1887)
Though he never held office except for a time that of Assistant State Geologist, yet Samuel S. Graham, son of Archibald, and brother of John G. and William, holds a place among men of note in Coosa. He came to it in its early settlement, making his home near Sockapatoy. His wife was a daughter of Rev. William Rice of Lowndes. He was inclined religiously to the Presbyterians.
He was known by everybody in the county, and by nearly all public men of the period, for he was often at courts, the sessions of the Legislature, and where talent was gathered within his reach. He was well educated, and was a walking encyclopedia. His knowledge took in many things, and what he learned he retained, and it was put away so orderly in his mind that he could command it at will. He was very eccentric, and was as well known for his eccentricities as for his learning; but with all he was a kind and genial man. It was a pleasure for him to impart information to any one desiring it. He was a noted pedestrian, and walked more than he rode, though he had horses at his command in plenty. Not unfrequently (sic) he would foot it to Rockford, Wetumpka, or Montgomery. He was a candidate for the House in 1841, but came out of the race before the election. He continued to take long walks until his. death a few years back.
From (Reminiscences of Public Men in Alabama: For Thirty Years, with an Appendix By William Garrett 1872)
William Graham, of Autauga, was a native of North Carolina, and a brother of Daniel Graham, who was many years Secretary of State of Tennessee. He was also a brother of John G. Graham, formerly of Alabama, but now a citizen of Texas, and of Mr. Samuel S. Graham, of Coosa county.
From (First[-Second] Biennial Report on the Geology of Alabama, Volume 2 By Geological Survey of Alabama, 1858)
Samuel S. Graham, Esq., of Coosa county, was employed for a short time, in tracing on the map the Western outline of the metamorphic rocks, in determining the position of the beautiful granite of Coosa, and in settling the limits of the drift on the Eastern side of the State, in the most satisfactory manner.
From (Report of Progress for the Fiscal Years Geological Survey of Alabama Brown Print Company 1879)
GEOLOGY. From Pinckneyville in Tallapoosa to Bradford, Coosa county.
…..In the west half of section 32, township 24, range 20 east, on land belonging to Mr. Samuel S. Graham, are several outcrops of what is structurally a true granite,* since large flat masses, forty or fifty paces in diameter, show not the slightest traces of bedding. This rock, which makes a beautiful building stone, lies within three miles of the Savannah & Memphis Railroad. The texture is so uniform that it may be split off equally well in all directions. The size of blocks which could be obtained here, would be limited only by the means of quarrying.
Much of this granite has already been used in the construction of the Bradford factory, and recently in the building of culverts and bridges on the railroad.
The comparative ease with which it can be quarried and worked up, its fine quality and handsome appearance, will enable it in the future to compete with the best building stones of the country.