TWIN OAKS PLANTATION
“Now called Everhope”
(between Clinton and Eutaw on Alabama State Route 14, Greene County, Alabama)
Spread over 8 acres, with the main house and multiple out buildings. The main structure is close to 8,500 square feet including 6 bedrooms, 4 full bathrooms, a state of the art kitchen, formal and informal dining rooms, gentlemen and ladies parlors.
Carpenter organized the Confederate Rangers
on the lawn
Nathan Mullin Carpenter purchased 667 acres of land for $10,012 on September 28, 1852, from John Rice and his wife Anna. The property became known as Twin Oaks Plantation. The house was built by a local builder, David Rinehart Anthony. Carpenter organized a company of men called the Confederate Rangers on the lawn in front of the house in 1862. He was elected captain of the unit. It would become Company B of the 36th Regiment Alabama Infantry. The company would see action in the battles of Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Nashville, and the Atlanta Campaign. Nathan Carpenter died on May 5, 1907, with Marjorie following him on February 14, 1911
Twin Oaks Plantation – (Wikipedia –
Twin Oaks Plantation – (Wikipedia – public domain by
Portico spans the entire front of the house
The Greek Revival style house has a two-story wood frame structure with a side-gabled roof covering the portico and main block of the structure. The foundations and chimneys are built of brick and front elevation features a two-story portico supported by four octagonal columns. The portico spans the entire front of the house. The house has double doors with sidelights, central bay on each floor and cantilevered governor’s balcony projecting from the second level.
The house was inherited by the Carpenters’ unmarried daughter, Fannie. A nephew of Fannie, Clifford S. Boyce, inherited the house following her death in 1944. Boyce and his wife, Leah Graves, lived in the house until his death in 1974.
The house sat empty until purchased by the Dr. George E. Rudd family in 1977. The house was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on December 21, 1977, following its purchase by the Rudds.
A holdover from earlier times, the house still did not have running water or bathrooms, with the Rudd family only using it as weekend and holiday retreat. Their absentee ownership continued into the early 1990s, with the house suffering periodic vandalism.
Restoration began in 1995
The house was purchased by Charles and Jan Bullock, originally from Ohio. Charles Bullock owns U.S. Commercial Contracting, a historical restoration company. The Bullocks began a restoration of Twin Oaks in 1995. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1999, due to its architectural and historical significance.
Open for tours
It was subsequently purchased by David and Pam Harmon in 2005 and renamed it Everhope. The “twin oaks”, for which the previous owners had named the plantation, died soon after the Harmons bought the property. This led them to rename the plantation Everhope.They continued the restoration and preservation of the historic house.
Barden Smedberg purchased Everhope in 2012. Everhope is a Bed and Breakfast. You can check them out on the Everhope facebook page.
View more photographs of this beautiful home at Advantage Realty