Cherokee County, Alabama – Turkey Town was where treaties were formed
HUGH CARDON’S HISTORY OF CHEROKEE COUNTY, ALABAMA
Mr. Hugh Cardon wrote the following history of Cherokee County on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the county in 1936. This history was published in the COOSA RIVER NEWS on Friday, August 7, 1936. Mr. Cardon was a much respected historian of the county and a collector of antiques and Indian artifacts. He died February 11, 1953. The Historical Society collected a number of his articles written for the public presspublished them from time to time. The following article was preserved by Mr. J. Robert Embry of the Blanche, Lookout Mountain Valley, Little River Area and loaned it to the Historical Society.
Turkey Town was established some time prior to 1770, and was one of the most important of Cherokee establishments. It was here that Col. Campbell, the noted British soldier and superintendent, lived at times during and after the Revolutionary War.
Turkey Town was located about one mile from Centre on the west side of the Coosa River, not far from the mouth of Terrapin Creek.
This fact is attested to by all of the authorities on the subject, and is shown on a half a dozen maps owned by the writer, dating from 1817 to 1835.
Path Killer operated a ferry
The old Indian Trail or ‘Creek Path’, running from Creek Path Town, now Guntersville, crossed the river at Turkey Town, where after the turn of the 19th Century, Path Killer, King of the Cherokees, operated a ferry. This path ran on into the present State of Georgia, and followed rather closely the present road to Rome via Cave Springs.
Council to settle boundaries
At Turkey Town in October 1816 was held a Council of the Cherokees, Creeks, and Chicksaws to settle boundaries and ratify a peace treaty. The agent of the U. S. Government at this meeting was General Andrew Jackson, who had lately, with the assistance of the Cherokees, defeated the Creeks had made possible the opening and settling of South Alabama.
Among other things consummated at this meeting was a treaty by which the Cherokees ceded to the United States a great part of North Central Alabama. They also agreed to the building by the United States of roads through their domain and one of the first roads built after this agreement was the old Alabama Road to Rome.
Missionaries of Moravian Church present
The markings of the road may yet be seen and is well remembered by older inhabitants. Especially can be followed from the former residence of Tobe DeJernette to the Kirk place, where it is crossed by the present Hokes Bluff road, and can be seen again just east of the Kirk place where it is crossed by the Piedmont road. The Cave Springs road, beginning at a point east of Will Shropshire’s residence, follows very nearly the original road and Indian path.
There were present at the Great Council at Turkey Town in 1816, missionaries of the Moravian Church. These missionaries made the plea to the Cherokees for the establishment within their nation of schools and churches, which, after due deliberation, received the consent of the council. As a consequence, schools were erected at Wills Town in DeKalb County, at Creek Path Town (near Guntersville), and in what is now Floyd County, Georgia, near Coosa.
In this action packed novel depicting true events the family saga continues with Ambrose Dixon’s family. George Willson witnesses the execution of King Charles II and is forced to leave the woman he loves to witch hunters in 17th century England as he flees to his sister, Mary, and her husband Ambrose Dixons home in Colonial American. Ridden with guilt over difficult decisions he made to survive, George Willson and the Dixon’s embrace the Quaker faith which further creates problems for their existence in the New World.