Superstitions were common in the South. Have you ever heard these?
- If a bride goes to the altar with salt in her pocket, she will always be happy.
Bride Theodore Horydczak (Library of Congress 1920)
- Make a wish on a red bird before it flies and your wish will come true.
- Cross your eyes and jump over a ditch at midnight and your eyes will stay crossed forever
- Wash your hair in the first rain of May, and it will grow faster.
- Cats playing with their tails means that bad weather isn’t far off.