JOHN A. UPSHAW
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
Tallapoosa County, Alabama
John A. Upshaw was born in Meriwether county, Georgia, in 1840, and died Feb. 11, 1903. He was the eldest son of Middleton Upshaw whose ancestors, French, date back to the early settlement of the United States. His mother was Susan (Berry) Upshaw. Middleton Upshaw married Margaret Elizabeth Stapp on January 5, 1860, after his first wife died. Middleton moved to Tallapoosa County, Alabama and died there July 23, 1883. He is buried in New Hope Cemetery in Tallapoosa County, Alabama.
John was educated in the common schools of Georgia, entered the Confederate service and served in Company B of the 1st Calvary. He remained in it all through the war. He married Sarah F. after the close of the war and settled in Tallapoosa county, Alabama. He devoted his time to farming.
He and his wife had the following children:
- Alice Upshaw (b. 1856)
- John A. Upshaw (b. ca. 1865) a leading business man of Dallas, Texas,
- Thomas L. Upshaw, of Sherman, Texas.
- Lily G. Upshaw Upshaw (b. Apr 1869) married Allen. D. Turner, of Jackson Gap, Alabama.
- Mary A. Upshaw (b. 1870) married S. Parkhome (?), of Columbus, Ga.,
His and his wife were living in Jackson’s Gap in the 1900 census and his wife died after 1903.
- Notable men of Alabama: personal and genealogical, Volume 1 By Joel Campbell DuBose
- Find A Grave Memorial# 110416540 # 48278082
- US Confederate Pensions file #22995
- 1870 and 1880 census of Oak Fuska, Tallapoosa County, Alabama.
- 1900 census Jackson’s Gap, Tallapoosa County, Alabama.
Did you know that all E-books can be downloaded immediately from Amazon.com? Click below to see how.