Click http://www.alabamapioneers.com/honor-your-ancestor-on-alab…/to see how to honor your ancestor as a Notable Alabama Pioneer
ROBERT HADEN ABERCROMBIE
Macon and Etowah County, Alabama
Robert Haden Abercrombie was a colonel 45th Alabama regiment C. S. Army. He was born September 11, 1837 at Cross Keys, Macon County, the son of Milo Bolling Abercrombie and Sarah Lee (Haden) Abercrombie. He graduated from the law school of Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tennessee in 1859 and immediately began the practice of his profession at Tuskegee with the firm of Williams, Graham and Mayes.
In 1862, he entered the C. S. Army as captain of Co. H, 45th Alabama infantry regiment. He was promoted to major after the resignation of Col. Gilchrist, then appointed lieutenant colonel about December 1863, and colonel after the battle of Atlanta. After the war he returned to Tuskegee and continued to practice law under the name of Graham and Abercrombie.
He moved to Gadsden, Etowah County, Alabama in1888 and formed a partnership with Judge J. A. Bilbro.
Robert was a Presbyterian He married Frances Rebecca “Fannie” R. Gary on January 9, 1860. They had the following children:
- William Abercrombie (October 1, 1860 – October 18, 1860) He is buried in Tuskegee City Cemetery, Macon County, Alabama
- Fannie Haden “Fannie” Abercrombie, (October 27, 1861 -June 9, 1921) married Dr. Daniel Baker Harris of Gadsden on March 26, 1886. They had five children; Frances M., Annie L, Robert H, Jean M. and Eleanor Baker. Fannie is buried at Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
- Annie Eliza “Ann” Abercrombie, (Aug. 8, 1866- Aug. 8, 1888) married Dr. Thomas Sadler Jordan. They had one son, Thomas G. Jordan. Annie is buried at Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
- Robert Lee Abercrombie (April 12, 1870-Jan 1, 1874) He is buried at Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
- Newton Abercrombie (Apr. 18, 1868- March 5, 1869) He is buried at Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
- Thomas Gary Abercrombie (March 10, 1875- Aug. 28, 1876) He is buried at Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
Robert died June 8, 1891, at Gadsden, and is buried in Tuskegee City Cemetery in Tuskegee, Macon County, Alabama.
- History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 3 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen
- Findagrave.com 25436794 # 49101714 # 49101711 49101708 49101709 49101710