SAMUEL BLACK ACKLAND/ACKLEN
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
(1767 VA. -1826 AL)
Madison County, Alabama
Samuel Black Acklen was born Nov. 15, 1767 in Abingdon, Washington Co., Virginia. His father was Christopher Acklin (b. 1745 MD) and Christian Black (b. Nov. 4, 1745 Frederick Co., VA) He was a “descendant of the Acklens of Virginia, a branch of an old Devonshire family, who spelled the name, originally, “Acalen,” and then spelled it “Acland.”
The cradle of the family is Ackland?Bolton, in Devonshire, and the founder was Hugh de Accalen. It was lately represented in England by Sir Thomas Dyke A. Bart, who died in 1875.
The present head of the family is Sir C. Thomas Acland.” Samuel married Elizabeth Hunt and they were early pioneers of Madison County, Alabama. Elizabeth Hunt was the daughter of John Hunt, the founder of Huntsville, Alabama.
They settled in Madison County around 1808. Samuel was the sheriff of Claiborne County, Tennessee before moving to Alabama. Samuel and Elizabeth were the parents of
- John R. H. Acklin (Jan. 23, 1800 -Jun 14, 1846 Madison Co., AL)
- William Hunt Acklin (Nov. 22, 1802 TN)
- Christiana B. Acklin (ca. 1806)
- Sarah Vance Acklin( ca. 1810) married McGee, died in Texas
- Elizabeth G. Acklin (b. 1813)
- Joseph A. S. Acklin (b. July 6, 1816 Huntsville, Madison Co., AL)
- Christopher Black Acklin (ca. 1818) moved to Texas
- Palmyra Jane Acklin (Nov. 1822-May 1. 1860) married Coleman
- Arthur A. Acklin- born AL
Samuel died July 25, 1826, in Madison County, Alabama. Elizabeth was born ca. 1784.
- History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 3 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
- Huntsville History collection
- Find A Grave Memorial# 61225583 # 10968595 # 10959162
This biography can be found in Biographies of Notable and Not-so-Notable Alabama Pioneers Volume VI
Did you know that all E-books can be downloaded immediately from Amazon.com? – Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App below.
[…] Joseph Hayes Acklen was the grandson of Samuel Black Acklen and Elizabeth (Hunt) Acklen, daughter of Captain John Hunt, founder of Huntsville, Alabama and of […]
[…] died September 11, 1863, at Angola Plantation, West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. He was the son of Samuel Black Acklen and Elizabeth (Hunt) Acklen; grandson of Capt. John Hunt, the founder of Huntsville. He was United […]
My great grandmother Lela Acklin Craighead was born in Athens, Claiborne parish, Louisiana, and is a descendent of these Acklins. I cannot establish how her father came to be in Louisiana, though. She had a first cousin named Homer D. Acklin in Webster parish, LA and has living Acklin relatives in north Louisiana today. Thanks for the excellent web page!