Click http://www.alabamapioneers.com/honor-your-ancestor-on-alab…/to see how to honor your ancestor as a Notable Alabama Pioneer
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
Bibb, Chilton and Autauga County, Alabama
Zachariah Abney was born September 10, 1835, near Randolph, and died August 10, 1911, at Prattville. He was the son of Thomas Hamilton Abney and Mary Ann (Gausden) Abney. He was educated in the common schools of his home county, and at Brierfield. In 1855-57 he attended the University of Alabama; later read law in the office of Senator John T. Morgan at Selma; and was admitted to the bar there in 1859.
He enlisted at the age of 25 as a private 1860 and 1861. When the Civil War began he joined the famous “Bibb Greys” Co. F, 11th Alabama infantry regiment served in the ranks for thirteen months, and sometime during this great Conflict he became Captain of this company of soldiers.
He was on the list of officers in Forney’s Alabama Brigade who surrendered at Appomattox C. H. Virginia on April 9, 1865.
After the war, he returned to his law practice. He moved to Prattville to become a partner in the law firm of Abney and Doster and he was appointed register in chancery, a position he held from 1883 to his death, or for twenty-eight years. He was a Democrat; and a Methodist.
Their children were:
- Annie Gausden Abney;
- Lina Cecil Abney, m. Walter Robinson, of Grandview;
- Samuel Houston Abney, Prattville;
- Zachariah Abney, m. Marion Frances Bowen, Prattville, the latter from Clinton, Ga.
His last residence was Prattville, Autauga County, Alabama. He is buried in the Doster Family Cemetery in Prattville, Autauga County, Alabama.
- History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 3 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen
- findagrave.com # 16047606 # 7222302 # 7222372
- A History of Early Bibb County Alabama 1820-1870 by Ulysses Huey Abrams, (Copyright, 1981, Edited by Mattie Sandford Johnson), page 91,
More information on Thomas Hamilton Abney’s ancestry and genealogy can be found in the book, Some Alabama Descendants of George Abney (1692-1766) with notes and sources