The State of Alabama will have her two-hundredth birthday on December 14, 2019. Honor your ancestor on Alabama Pioneers for the bicentennial! (Story continued below)
Honor Your Ancestor
A major goal of Alabama Pioneers has always been to seek out and honor our forgotten notable Alabama ancestors by recognizing their achievements and contributions in establishing and developing the State of Alabama. In this endeavor, we look for the unknown or little-known individuals who have generally not been included in history books. Many of these pioneers have been discovered by our readers through their diligent personal family research.
With Alabama’s bicentennial year fast approaching in 1819, we decided to honor all notable pioneers of Alabama who helped build, establish and/or contribute to Alabama’s growth, culture, development, etc. in any capacity during her first 200 years. These notable pioneers will be designated with a special banner on their biography.
Only $2+ Patrons may submit biographies
- $2+ Patron members may select one ancestor to honor.
- $5+ Patron members may select five ancestors to honor.
- $10+ Patron members may select ten ancestors to honor
- $25+ Patron members may select twenty-five ancestors to honor
If you are a $2+ or above Alabama Pioneers Patron member
Email a brief biography of your ancestor to [email protected]. Your name will be listed as the author of the biography on the Alabama Pioneers website.
Requirements for Submission
- Individuals must have become a resident of Alabama prior to 1919.
- Biographies must be emailed complete and ready to cut and paste to Alabama Pioneers website. All submissions requiring extensive editing will be returned to the sender. The biography can be resubmitted when editing is completed. (See an example of the typical format for biographies https://www.alabamapioneers.com/category/biographies/)
- A picture of the pioneer is optional but must be emailed in a separate file along with the email of the biography. All pictures must be in .jpg format.
- Only biographies submitted by email to [email protected] OR to the Community Section of Patreon will be eligible for posting on the website.
We will notify you when your ancestor’s biography will be listed on www.alabamapioneers.com
This book includes the genealogy of and biography of William Barrett Travis of Alamo fame and Elisha Cottingham, the Alabama descendants from the Tapestry of Love, Historical Fiction Series by Donna R. Causey. The biographies of Alabama pioneers included in this book include: REV. JOHN WESLEY STARR (1806-1870) ELBERT SOULE STARR (1845-1908) JOHN WESLEY STARR, JR. (1830-1853) RICHARD ELLIS (1781 – 1846) JOHN WHITE, ESQ., (1778 – 1842) JOSEPH GLOVER BALDWIN (1815 – 1864) COL. JONATHAN NEWTON SMITH (1814 -1885) RICHARD HOPKINS PRATT (1827 – 1908) HOPKINS PRATT (1791-1841) MARY DICKERSON PRATT (1800-1882) ABSALOM PRATT (1793-1845) RICHARD PRATT (1764-1822) REBECCA BEAVERS PRATT (1770-1847) EDMOND PIERCE ANDERSON (1800-1827) DAVID W. HUNTER (b. ca. 1800) AMBROSE HUNTER (b. ca. 1800) JOHN ALEXANDER GRUGETT (ca. 1774 – ca. 1826) ISAAC NEWTON LANGSTON (1775 -1850) OBEDIAH LANGSTON (1801 – 1888) DORANTON PATTON NEWTON LANGSTON (1812 – 1873) ELISHA COTTINGHAM, SR.. (b. ca. 1755 – 1820) ELISHA COTTINGHAM, JR. (1793 -1870) JOHN C. D. MAT TROTT (1809 – 1883) COL. WILLIAM BARRETT TRAVIS (Hero of the Alamo) (1809-1836) HENLEY GRAHAM SNEAD (1814 – 1906) WINTHROP SARGEANT (1755 – 1820) TOD ROBINSON, SR. (1776 – 1838) TOD ROBINSON, JR. (1812 – 1870) WILLIAM RAIFORD PICKETT (1777 – 1850) COLONEL ALBERT J. PICKETT (1810 -1858) BRIG. GENERAL WILLIAM FLANK PERRY (1823 -1901) GEORGE FOOTE (1784 – 1825) PHILLIP A. FOOTE (1793 – 1831) JONATHAN BURFORD (1793 – 1849) includes many slave names DANIEL WASHINGTON BURFORD (1782 – 1847) JOHN GALLAGHER (ca. 1796 – 1839) DAVID JOHNSON GOODLETT (1804 – 1878) JUDGE HENRY ANDERSON MCGHEE (1808 – 1901)