JOEL C. LOWERY
BIOGRAPHY and GENEALOGY
BIBB COUNTY, ALABAMA
Joel C. Lowery was born Nov. 6, 1790 in Rhea, Tennessee to Samuel Lowery and Hanna (Jeffers)Lowery. Samuel Lowery emigrated from Tennessee where he lived until his death. He served in the war of 1812 as corporal of his company.
Joel married Mary Abigail Pratt (b. in 1800 Stokes County, NC) in Bledsoe County, Tennessee. She was the daughter of Richard and Rebecca (Beavers) Pratt. Joel and Mary Abigail were members of the Baptist church.
Joel and Mary Abigail were the parents of eleven children:
- Sarah Maria Lowery(b. 1820 TN – 1894 LA) married Thomas Alexander Jordan September 26, 1840 Bibb County, Alabama
- John Lowery (b. 1822 TN – d. January 27, 1912 Bibb Co., AL) married Jane Ellen Goodson Apr. 24, 1848 Bibb County, Alabama. He was a farmer in Bibb County, Alabama.
- James Harvey Lowery (b. ca. 1824 TN – d. September 11, 1866 Bibb County, AL) married Elizabeth “Old Grandma” Riley in Bibb County, Alabama
- Hannah Adaline Lowery( b. 1826 TN – d. 1893) married Azor N. Hayes in Bibb County, Alabama on Aug. 20, 1844 in Bibb county, Alabama
- Rebecca C. Lowery( b. 1828 TN – d. aft. 1900 LA) married Henry T. Hall Dec. 16, 1851 Bibb County, Alabama
- Mary Ann “Polly” Lowery(b. 1829 TN – d. ca. 1893) married James L. Wood on Dec. 15, 1853 in Bibb County, Alabama
- Leander Perry Lowery (b. 1831 AL – d. ca. 1893) married Mary A. Smith on Feb. 27, 1856 in Bibb county, Alabama
- William Fletcher Lowery(b. July 21, 1832 AL – d. May 20, 1920 Bibb county, AL) married Alice Adora Thomas December 21, 1876 Perry county, Alabama
- Joel Barton Lowery(b. March 6, 1834 AL – aft. 1893) married Mary Elizabeth Thomas bef. 1882
- Charles Carrol Lowery(b. 1836 AL – aft. 1893)
- Isaac Newton J. Lowery(b. 1838 AL)
After the death of his wife, Mary Abigail, from typhoid fever, Joel C. Lowery married 2nd Margaret Litton on Feb. 20, 1857 in Bibb County, Alabama. They had two children Fanny C. Lowery (b. 1860 Bibb County, Alabama) and an infant who died. Margaret died July 21, 1884 and Joel died June 8, 1891.
- Ellorine Cottingham Morgan compiled records
- Brant & Fuller (1893) Memorial Record of Alabama”, Vol. I, p. 491-492
This biography is included in the Book Some Alabama Descendants of SAMUEL LOWERY Revolutionary War Soldier
Anyone can read E-books—even without a E-book reading device—with the FREE Kindle app for computers, smartphones and tablets. Store your books on the Free Kindle Cloud Reader and save space on your computer. Borrow the book and read it for FREE with free trial below.